NEW! The Swordtail is a newly released product. Product is currently available. See ordering information below.
A complete Wi-Fi and Bluetooth® enabled, Arm®-based embedded computer. It is designed for applications that demand rugged, power-efficient solutions including: transportation, medical, kiosk, and industrial. A socket supports cellular and mesh wireless plug-ins to provide wireless connectivity.
Wi-Fi, Bluetooth, and socket for Cellular
Designed for local and global wireless networking
i.MX 6 Processors
Low power DualLite and Quad Core versions
A fully operational computer. No additional boards needed
See datasheet for more details
|Mechanical||Size: 95 x 95 x 21.4 mm (3.7 x 3.7 x .85”)|
|Mechanical||Weight: 68g (2.4 oz)|
|Processor||NXP i.MX6 Quad or i.MX6 DualLite|
|Input Voltage||8V–17VDC (12V nominal)|
|Power (typical)||1.72 - 2.21W depending on model|
|Operating Temperature||-40° to +85°C|
|Shock and Vibration||MIL-STD-202H|
|Memory (RAM)||Up to 4 GB DDR3L soldered-on memory|
|Display||HDMI V1.4 port (with sound)|
|Storage||microSD socket, bootable|
|Storage||Optional bootable eMMC MLC Flash drive (chip). Up to 32 GB|
|Network||One 1GbE port (10/100/1000 autodetect)|
|USB||Two USB 2.0 host ports|
|Serial I/O||One RS232 debug port|
|Digital I/O||Nine CMOS level I/O lines (3.3V)|
|Audio||No on-board audio. Use optional VL-ADR-01 audio interface|
|Other I/O||One I2C interface|
|Other I/O||One channel CAN Bus|
|Other I/O||Cellular socket|
|Operating System Compatibility||Most Arm operating systems including Linux and Android|
|Export Info||Schedule B: 8471.60.7000|
See datasheet for full specifications
The Swordtail is a complete single board computer. It features Wi-Fi, Bluetooth®, and cellular options for applications that operate without a wired data connection. These Arm®-based computers are available with power-efficient, dual-core or quad-core i.MX6 CPUs. The Swordtail is ideal for applications that demand rugged low-power solutions such as industrial machine automation, transportation, medical, kiosks, and industrial IoT.
Unlike Arm-based modules, Swordtail is a complete board-level computer. Additional carrier boards, connector boards, or I/O expansion boards are not required for operation. Swordtail boards are delivered with on-board soldered-down RAM, ready to plug-in and run. To simplify mounting and future upgrades, the Swordtail leverages the COM-Express standard for its footprint and mounting points.
Like all VersaLogic products, the Swordtail SBC is engineered and tested to be rugged. It is fully validated for operation in unforgiving environments with extreme temperatures, mechanical shock, and vibration.
In addition to the wireless connections, the Swordtail provides connectivity via Gigabit Ethernet, USB, GPIO, and CAN bus interfaces. HDMI video, audio support, and LVDS panel / touchscreen support are also included. Both Wi-Fi and Bluetooth radios are included on board. A NimbleLink Skywire™ socket supports a wide range of optional cellular and other wireless plug-ins.
VersaLogic's 10+ year availability ensures long-term deployment in the field, free from expensive upgrades and migrations that come from short, disposable lifecycle products.
VersaLogic products are designed for use by OEMs working in a variety of market applications: Aerospace, Defense, Energy, Industrial, Security, Medical, Military, Robotics, and Transportation. VersaLogic delivers extremely reliable standard and customized embedded computers backed with unsurpassed service and the highest availability in the market.
- Swordtail VL-EPC-2702 Datasheet 01/13/20 PDF 2.5 MB DOWNLOAD
- Swordtail EPC-2702 Hardware Reference Manual 01/21/20 PDF 444 KB DOWNLOAD
- Swordtail EPC-2702 Yocto Linux User Guide 05/06/19 PDF 691 KB DOWNLOAD
- Product Lifecycle Chart 07/31/20 PDF 194 KB DOWNLOAD
Software Support Packages
- Linux Yocto Rocko with Kernel 4.9.88 Image for Swordtail (EPC 2702) 1.0.0 03/13/19 ZIP 571 MB DOWNLOAD
Additional Reference Materials
- Component Info: i.MX6DualLite Applications Processors for Industrial Products Datasheet 07/17/17 PDF 2.96 MB DOWNLOAD
- Component Info: Hardware Development Guide for i.MX6 Families of Application Processors User Guide VISIT SITE
- Component Info: i.MX6DualLite Applications Processor Reference Manual VISIT SITE
- Component Info: Chip Errata for the i.MX6 Solo/DualLite 09/12/11 PDF 1.01 MB DOWNLOAD
- Component Info: i.MX6 Quad NXP Datasheet 11/09/15 PDF 2.51 MB DOWNLOAD
- Component Info: i.MX6 Quad NXP Reference Manual VISIT SITE
- Component Info: i.MX6 Quad NXP Chip Errata 08/23/18 PDF 1.21 MB DOWNLOAD
- Component Info: Sterling-LWB 2.4 GHz Wi-Fi and Bluetooth Smart Ready Multi-Standard Module Documentation VISIT SITE
- Component Info: Sterling-LWB Application Guide 11/30/16 PDF 1.27 MB DOWNLOAD
- Part Number Description
- Cable Kit
- VL-CKR-SWORDTAIL Swordtail development / evaluation kit. Includes VL-F41-8SBN-LINUX3, CBR-3004, CBR-0504, PS-WALL12-24, CBR-ANT04, CBR-0205.
- VL-F41-8SBN-LINUX3 Linux Operating System, 8 GB MLC microSD card with bootable Linux, standard temperature.
- VL-CBR-3004 0.5m 30-pin 2mm IDC to Ribbon Cable
- VL-CBR-0504 RS-232 cable, 2mm 5-pin to DB-9M, 0.3m
- VL-PS-WALL12-24 Power supply 90 ~ 264 VAC to 12VDC @ 2A, 2.1mm ID plug, international adapters
- VL-CBR-ANT04 2.4 GHz Dipole Antenna
- VL-CBR-0205 Antenna Interface Cable (U.FL to RP-SMA) 105 mm
- VL-CBR-0405 CAN bus cable, 2mm 4-pin to 2mm 4-pin MicroClasp, 1m
- VL-CBR-0406 CAN bus cable, 2mm 4-pin MicroClasp to DB9 connector, 0.5m
- VL-CBR-2014 LVDS to VGA adapter board
- VL-CBR-2015 LVDS / flat panel cable, 24-bit (Hirose), 20"
- VL-CBR-0404 LED back light, 3-pin Pico-Clasp / 4-pin IDE power to 6-pin 12V, 0.5 m
- VL-CBR-0811 20” 8-pin Pico-Clasp to Pico-Clasp cable
- VL-F41-xxxx microSD card (SDIO), SLC, industrial temperature
ModelsModel: VL-EPC-2702-EBK-01 CPU Model: i.MX6 DualLite Cores: Dual Nominal CPU Speed: 800 MHz RAM Memory: 1 GB eMMC Flash: - Operating Temperature: -40° to +85°C OEM Pricing: Buy Sample:
Model: VL-EPC-2702-EDK-02 CPU Model: i.MX6 Quad Cores: Quad Nominal CPU Speed: 800 MHz RAM Memory: 2 GB eMMC Flash: - Operating Temperature: -40° to +85°C OEM Pricing: Buy Sample:
Model: VL-EPC-2702-EDK-02-8 CPU Model: i.MX6 Quad Cores: Quad Nominal CPU Speed: 800 MHz RAM Memory: 2 GB eMMC Flash: 8 GB Operating Temperature: -40° to +85°C OEM Pricing: Buy Sample:
- Model CPU Model Cores Nominal CPU Speed RAM Memory eMMC Flash Operating Temperature OEM Pricing Buy Sample
- VL-EPC-2702-EBK-01 i.MX6 DualLite Dual 800 MHz 1 GB - -40° to +85°C
- VL-EPC-2702-EDK-02 i.MX6 Quad Quad 800 MHz 2 GB - -40° to +85°C
- VL-EPC-2702-EDK-02-8 i.MX6 Quad Quad 800 MHz 2 GB 8 GB -40° to +85°C